OHM model L

Guest fourwheels0

Guest fourwheels0

i'm looking for opinions on the ohm model l speakers. these are the 3-way's built in the 70's-80's. are they any good?. i have a chance at getting some and am wondering about them. went to the ohm site so i have that info but i'm looking for owners of them to voice their opinions. thanks.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a nice set of 3 way Ohm L's at an auction and am very impressed with the tone, they were missing one of the logo badges so I emailed Ohm to see if they would sell me one, the President of the company responded and sent me one free of charge, great customer service!!

These were a big seller for Ohm back in the day. Are there any other Ohm L folks out there?

okies

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/24/2010 at 1:49 PM, Okies said:

I just picked up a nice set of 3 way Ohm L's at an auction and am very impressed with the tone, they were missing one of the logo badges so I emailed Ohm to see if they would sell me one, the President of the company responded and sent me one free of charge, great customer service!!

These were a big seller for Ohm back in the day. Are there any other Ohm L folks out there?

okies

Just found a pair at the Sal. Filthy but in pretty good shape. Some dark "flower pot" rings on top of one, and no more than 3 small chips in the real wood veneer. Not bad for $4.99. Of course the surrounds are shot. CSP member ToastedAlmond commented on AK:

The guy at Layne Audio (specializing in AR, KLH, and Advent) maintains that a full 50% of the Ohm "L" woofers he gets for re-foam require additional work to get them up to speed.

Anyone have more info? I did test the woofers at very low volume and they work but I don't know if there is any more subtle damage.

Any other comments? These will be my 2nd Brooklyn-born speakers (first pair were Rectilinear Mini IIIs). Brooklyn ain't New England, and these puppies have ports, but they seem to have potential.

Kent

post-101828-0-61483400-1318366561_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Finished them (with no help from the president of Ohm). When I wrote to ask about the brown glop on the pole piece and told him I was refoaming the woofers, he responded that I did "not understand the unique things we designed into the L woofer to make that speaker so outstanding when it was introduced and still sounding better than most speakers sold today." Wanted me to buy new woofers ($190/pair) and "SBA" ($80/pr) "to make them survive CDs and DVDs."

Despite the unhelpful response and sleazy sales pitch, I went ahead and refurbished them with new foam surrounds from M_Sound and new film capacitors (one 8.2uF Dayton poly and one 2.2uF mylar per speaker). Must say I was impressed! They sound very nice, with surprisingly good bass (even without the SBA circuit). In all fairness, if I were keeping them I would probably spring for the SBA. Assume it's sort of like the Allison "electronic subwoofer" but seriously doubt it's needed for "survival".

Here are some shots--one of the finished speakers with grilles off, one illustrating you can never have too many clamps  and finally one showing you CAN have too many speakers! That shot shows completed Ohm L, completed OLA, completed AR91, Bozak MB-80s (really nice mini monitors. Can't figure out how to remove the woofer for recapping), and in the background a completely recapped MAC4100. This is getting out of hand! 

Kent

post-101828-0-00144100-1322771275_thumb.

post-101828-0-09756500-1322771276_thumb.

post-101828-0-84594700-1322771276_thumb.

• 3 months later...

I had some friends back in the 1970's who must have had more money then brains. They had to have the latest and greatest in audio technology which was great for me as I could listen to really rare high end speakers. I remember the original Ohm speakers with the Walsh drivers. They were very inefficient, required power levels, which at the time, where not cheap to obtain but the power levels they could handle where fairly narrow, it didn't take much to blow one up. I can't imagine how one of the originals could handle a band like NIghtwish blasting away. I was looking at the Ohm website I see a lot of their business is supplying parts, and a repair shop for older models.

• 6 months later...

Ohm speakers are one of the best speakers and cabinets made. I use to have a pair of Walsh 4 speakers and currently still have a set of C2 with the upgraded poly C3 driver. Also a pair of L models at my good friends house. ( and a pair of Vandersteen ) ...YEs, I'm a hooked Hi-Fi guy from the 60's. I have enjoyed Ohm so much thru the years and have had such great experiences dealing with John at Ohm (and Tony) that I feel empowered to defend them and the product. There customer support is wonderful, they truly enjoy what they do and you can sense that when you asked them for help or are lucky enough to meet them, (which I have taken the 3 hour ride to do). The imaging of the Walsh speakers; just puts you "there" the voices are so real, like the person is in the room with you. The C2 speakers are a terrific and wonderful speaker and the L's are like their little sister. What more can I say, Ohm Sweet Ohm ! One more note, Ohm is not making and stocking speakers like they where in the 80's thru the early 2000 - they're great at what they do and they're more focused on studio, theater and customer orders. Yes, the have the parts for rebuilding their older speaker, how great is that, not to hear that line is no longer around but we have another speaker you should look at.... (That's great Customer Service) Imagine, walking into the Chevrolet dealer to get a part for my 67 vette off the back shelf; well ok, Ohm started in 1972 but, you get the point. Who else stands behind their speakers with a 120 day trial at your home ! If you want a true to life sound and a warm feeling, bring her on 'Ohm.

• 6 years later...

I have a pair of Ohm L 's and they have been the best pair of high quality speakers since I bought them new at age 20.....I'm 62.  Cabinets have held up great as I've kept the natural wood oiled and well taken care of.  They provide crisp high end as well as plenty of low end for such a little speaker.