klh 17's

Guest tim t

I'm curious how the klh 17's compare to the new large advents, i have a pair of mint refoamed new large advents with orange fried eggs and have just come across a pair of walnut klh 17's in excellent condition for 20 bucks, tempted to buy them, anyone know the power handling,specs etc, thanks

i own Large Advent, Advent 5002's and have heard KLH 17's on several occasions. to my ear the 17 is more refined and smoother than either of my pairs of Advents. the 17's have a 'liquid' quality to their sound that i find very appealing, plus the 17 will handle gobs of power with seeming ease and finesse. the only reason i have the Advents is that 17's are relatively rare and i got both pairs of the Advents for next to nothing.

i own Large Advent, Advent 5002's and have heard KLH 17's on several occasions. to my ear the 17 is more refined and smoother than either of my pairs of Advents. the 17's have a 'liquid' quality to their sound that i find very appealing, plus the 17 will handle gobs of power with seeming ease and finesse. the only reason i have the Advents is that 17's are relatively rare and i got both pairs of the Advents for next to nothing.

thank you dingus, i pick them up at 1pm today, i'll post later on how the 17's compare for me with my new large advents, any idea on where i might find some spec's on the 17's ?

thank you dingus, i pick them up at 1pm today, i'll post later on how the 17's compare for me with my new large advents, any idea on where i might find some spec's on the 17's ?

Congrats

I recently restored some 17s. The caps had "exploded" so I replaced caps and resistors. I "think" the 17s are very similar to the 20s., except that the 20s were 4 ohm and used RCA jacks. Try searching the forum for more info. You could start with this thread:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...mp;hl=seventeen

cheers

Kent

Congrats

I recently restored some 17s. The caps had "exploded" so I replaced caps and resistors. I "think" the 17s are very similar to the 20s., except that the 20s were 4 ohm and used RCA jacks. Try searching the forum for more info. You could start with this thread:

<a href="http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...mp;hl=seventeen" target="_blank">http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...mp;hl=seventeen</a>

cheers

Kent

thanks kent this pair is in original cond bought from the original purchaser whose wife said .." get them out of the house..." he likes big electrostatics...so the 17's,... lovely sound...fuller in the mids, lacking in the lows, highs are nice..scary playing 40+ year old speakers...esp rare ones !..not in the new advent's league, but a good complement as rears..or in the kitchen.....as they are right now. hav'nt looked inside yet. cost $20 bucks can.

thanks kent this pair is in original cond bought from the original purchaser whose wife said .." get them out of the house..." he likes big electrostatics...so the 17's,... lovely sound...fuller in the mids, lacking in the lows, highs are nice..scary playing 40+ year old speakers...esp rare ones !..not in the new advent's league, but a good complement as rears..or in the kitchen.....as they are right now. hav'nt looked inside yet. cost $20 bucks can.

Bass may inmprove significantly with redoping of what are likely dried out surrounds. Recapping also a big plus.

Bass may inmprove significantly with redoping of what are likely dried out surrounds. Recapping also a big plus.

Yes--definitely go for the new caps. The originals used by KLH were more like "craps." I think the upload works now, so here they are:

• 1 month later...
Yes--definitely go for the new caps. The originals used by KLH were more like "craps." I think the upload works now, so here they are:

i have model 17,

which are 8 ohm,

with screw speaker terminals of the era,

also have model 20,

which are 4 ohm,

with rca connector,

both have identical cabinets,grilles,woofers,tweeters,

when re capping,

is it better to crimp or resolder???

or no difference

ty

when re capping,

is it better to crimp or resolder???

or no difference

ty

No difference AFAIK. I often use crimps, as you can see, and they work very well. Good mechanical & electrical connection, no chance of cold solder. Nice job on the speaker connectors! I am considering doing that on my 20s.

Kent

• 1 month later...
upgraded the model 20

with gold speaker terminals

to accept larger gauge wire, spades or bananas

all the best

Hey Dormie

Here are my 20s. I also used gold terminals, but used a slightly different approach--the RCA jacks are still functional, as well as the binding posts.

Think I got a little carried away though. Paid $16 for the 20s on ebay, but then with shipping, new Dayton polypro caps, gold binding posts and grille cloth (cheap burlap) I'm into these for about $68. But they look and sound good. I have another pair to rebuild--may use electrolytic or mylar caps. Then I'll just sell them and start over again :D

cheers

Kent

post-101828-1201068318.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Dormie

Here are my 20s. I also used gold terminals, but used a slightly different approach--the RCA jacks are still functional, as well as the binding posts.

Think I got a little carried away though. Paid $16 for the 20s on ebay, but then with shipping, new Dayton polypro caps, gold binding posts and grille cloth (cheap burlap) I'm into these for about $68. But they look and sound good. I have another pair to rebuild--may use electrolytic or mylar caps. Then I'll just sell them and start over again :)

cheers

Kent

good work, a nice upgrade JKent,

i noticed in post #11 the caps are 2uF,

but in post #7 the cap is 8uF,

i sold both my model 17 and 20s,

and just today picked up another pair model 17,

but this pair has a double cap with a common ground as pictured,

this cap is 2 x 2uF,

i didn't note what caps were in my previous model 17s,

are 2 uF 50v the oem caps????

i wanna keep the same specs

thanks for any info

post-102652-1203045587.jpg

good work, a nice upgrade JKent,

i noticed in post #11 the caps are 2uF,

but in post #7 the cap is 8uF,

i sold both my model 17 and 20s,

and just today picked up another pair model 17,

but this pair has a double cap with a common ground as pictured,

this cap is 2 x 2uF,

i didn't note what caps were in my previous model 17s,

are 2 uF 50v the oem caps????

i wanna keep the same specs

thanks for any info

Hi

I'm on the road, but will try to answer from memory. There were 3 caps in each speaker: a double 2uF (in other words, two 2uF caps) and an 8uF.

Good luck!

Kent

Archived