DQ-10's

draftingmonkey

Just picked up a pair of DQ-10's. Have heard some good things about them so thought I would try a pair when some came available near me. As soon as I get a chance will post some photos and let you what what I think. Still coming down and getting resituated from our 3 week trip up north (including a trip to see Vern in Vancouver BC) and still winding down.

Also to make things worse, just brought home a pair of Vandersteen 2c's this evening. Thought it might help me to get distracted from this 3 day migraine I've been on. Any audio distraction is good? yes??

Will report more later.

• 7 months later...

Hi again;

There is another pair of DQ-10's parts on ebay as I write.

Actually only the mids from a pair.

This is the Philips fullrange driver used as a mid in some old systems.

It appears that Kent has found that a Advent radio or at least extention speaker enclosure used a version of this driver as well.

This one was less plastic enclosure and was being used as a fullrange speaker system.

At least he had one on hand from a photo he posted recently.

The ebay version has the Philip optional plastic rear enclosure.

The driver can be used in any type of enclosure with out damage to the drivers cone.

Good news, they are plentiful and typically don't command a premium price.

post-101040-1190688383.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've listened to two pairthe DQ 10 and have to say they are an excellent sounding speaker. One pair had the crossover professionally rebuilt, the other was original and the difference in sound quality was stunning. both were good in their own right, but the speakers with rebuilt crossovers were head and shoulders better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slownlo

I just picked up a pair myself...the guy I got them from was a serious slob (lol)...there was about 3" of dust caked in the rear, you could barely see the cross-over...(lol). But the cabinets and drivers are in great shape sans the woofer surrounds needing replacing... and he also did the "mirror image" mod on them, and did a pretty good job...I've got them all naked right now in my garage with the grill's off and the woofers out (waiting on my new surrounds to arrive) so I can prep them for repair...I've actually thought about rebuilding the XO's but its going to be pretty expensive since there are over 20+ components in each one...If I do I'll be using Solen caps to keep the costs down...

post-102734-1193348983.jpg

post-21-1193348983.jpg

2852.txt

post-21-1193348984.jpg

post-21-1193348985.jpg

post-21-1193348986.jpg

• 9 months later...
Guest fourwheels0

i just picked up a pair of these from the original owner with stands and feet all in the original boxes. i've already replaced the woofers and they sound great. but i'm missing the grill logo's anybody know where i can get some. besides the bay.

post-103218-1217894863.jpg

post-103218-1217894893.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I just picked up a pair myself...the guy I got them from was a serious slob (lol)...there was about 3" of dust caked in the rear, you could barely see the cross-over...(lol). But the cabinets and drivers are in great shape sans the woofer surrounds needing replacing... and he also did the "mirror image" mod on them, and did a pretty good job...I've got them all naked right now in my garage with the grill's off and the woofers out (waiting on my new surrounds to arrive) so I can prep them for repair...I've actually thought about rebuilding the XO's but its going to be pretty expensive since there are over 20+ components in each one...If I do I'll be using Solen caps to keep the costs down...

I can read at least the suffix on the lower mid in the bottom picture

and it is W8. I heard from another speaker person and on this forum

that it was the Sq8 version. Can you see if there's been any soldering

that might indicate if the driver was replaced?

The Sq8 had a rear cup, it can be removed but obviously Dahlquist did

not use the cup.

There should be a felt pad on the back of that driver, just to let you

know.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Now you just showed me something that I never knew. I had no idea that Dalquist used an "Advent" shaped woofer.

• 2 years later...

Archived