Capacitor myths revisited

Carlspeak

Some time back at the height of the debates, I asked the question here if anyone had worked with waveform analysis to further characterize and quantify capacitor performance. However, there was no response.

So, I decided to take it on myself. The results are contained in the attached 11 page report. The outcome will probably make some happy and some sad, and others want to debate more. :-)))

I won't divulge my conclusions here though. But, instead, ask those interested (and there appear to have been many of you) in the outcome of my work, download the report and find out.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>Some time back at the height of the debates, I asked the

>question here if anyone had worked with waveform analysis to

>further characterize and quantify capacitor performance.

>However, there was no response.

>

>So, I decided to take it on myself. The results are contained

>in the attached 11 page report. The outcome will probably make

>some happy and some sad, and others want to debate more.

>:-)))

>

>I won't divulge my conclusions here though. But, instead, ask

>those interested (and there appear to have been many of you)

>in the outcome of my work, download the report and find out.

>

>

>It's all about the music

>

>Carl

>Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

AAARRRGH!!!!

Mark has got to move that post message button somewhere away from the attachment area.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

2705.pdf

>>In my mind there still seems to be one elusive characteristic I >>have yet to figure out; it's a way to measure moothness and/or >>harshness of the sound.

Carl,

I tend to agree with your assessment and offer this as anecdotal evidence.

A couple summers ago, I had the chance to listen to a Sunfire Amp, I don't remember which one now. My first impression of the amp was it sounded absolutely fantastic. It was extremely pure, clear, you name it, it was it. Then after about 3 minutes, I noticed my ears were starting to hurt. It was loud enough to hear, but we were carrying a conversation over the top of the music in a normal voice. I absolutely had to turn the volumn down. By comparison, it's very normal for me to drive my system at home to the point the floors vibrate and I do not expereince ear pain.

Yes, I'm comparing different animals, but in the case of the amp, I believe the leading and trailing edge (attack and decay) of it's wave form was overly sharp or harsh while the primary wave form was near perfect. The same thing "might" be involved with different caps in speaker crossovers.

Archived