Need AR-1 Schematic

Guest ARlover

Hello Bob:

There are several versions of the AR-1. Here is a schematic of a version using the potentiometer level control. I do not believe I copied this from the CSP Archives, but rather from a member post too long ago to remember? The "143 turn" coil described in the drawing is 0.4 mH. Hope this helps.

post-100900-1160586185.jpg

Hi John;

Thank you for the information and drawing for the AR-1X speaker system.

As I try to piece together more information for the, AR Chron list, there will be several sub-species of these models.

Using the, AR-1X, as a single example, seeing as how you so kindly provided the schematic.

The original cloth surround woofer, with the original CTS screen and mesh covered tweeter.

The change to a new style foam surround woofer and follow-up change to the AR-4X tweeter.

As I see it right now, there is 4 different AR-1X versions alone without any crossover changes being noted, if there was any.

As a side note, when I had my first pair of AR-4X speakers, I knew later about the existance of the AR-1X speaker.

I was considering buying just one as a single center channel.

A 12" woofer and I do not know which style of woofer or tweeter was then available.

There is more to it than just buying a speaker.

I would have needed another mono integrated amp or stereo integrated amp or a basic amp and pre-amp.

An electronic crossover would have been needed as well, very likely.

At that time, I was not aware as to how to arrive at a derived center channel output, as I do today.

I also probably dreamed a lot because of a lack of hifi money, probably low WAF as well.

It never came to be, but I was really hot to trot for more deep bass than the 4X's could provide.

Hello Vern,

Interesting!

I was unaware that there was more than one version of the AR-1x. I have only heard of the one with the 2.5" AR-4x tweeter in the 1969 catalog.

I have never actually seen an AR-1x even on ebay. I think it is fair to say that the AR-1 series had some crossover changes along the way.

>Hello Vern,

>

>

>Interesting!

>

>I was unaware that there was more than one version of the

>AR-1x. I have only heard of the one with the 2.5" AR-4x

>tweeter in the 1969 catalog.

>

>I have never actually seen an AR-1x even on ebay. I think it

>is fair to say that the AR-1 series had some crossover changes

>along the way.

Hi Brad;

I do not have a photo of an AR-1X speaker system.

I am guessing, that the first AR-1X would have had the cloth surround and the CTS tweeter.

Then, I need to guess again, that there was the woofer change to foam surrounds.

There may also be the woofers with the ring surrounds, not with the rolls, as used in the earliest of the AR-1 speaker systems.

During this time period, there was the change out of the tweeters.

There may have been a crossover change as well, for either or all of the driver changes.

I can't prove my opinion, but, I also feel that the AR-2X has the same potential changes, woofers, tweeters and maybe crossovers, but this will be another topic of discussion.

Perhaps TomT or other more knowledgeable members, than I, can add to this growing and very interesting topic.

This topic started off as an AR-1 question, not an AR-1X, though.

>

>Then, I need to guess again, that there was the woofer change

>to foam surrounds.

I don't think the AR-1x lasted too long in the "foam era." If it did, I doubt AR would have converted it, as this was a very low production item.

>

>I can't prove my opinion, but, I also feel that the AR-2X has

>the same potential changes, woofers, tweeters and maybe

>crossovers, but this will be another topic of discussion.

All true, the 2x had a refit in 1970 along with the 2ax.

>Hi:

>

>Does anyone know of a schematic of the AR-1? The version using

>a pot

>to control the tweeter.

>

>Thanks,

>Bob

dont know if this is the schematic you want (i cant read it and dont know if there is a tweeter control there or not), but its the only place i know of where AR-1 schematic's are posted.

http://www.sound-thinking.org/index.php?sh...st=0entry9644

but

>its the only place i know of where AR-1 schematic's are

>posted.

>

>http://www.sound-thinking.org/index.php?sh...st=0entry9644

Hello again:

These two circuits of the AR-1 (do not say 1x) are also here in the CSP. I believe in an old post, but perhaps in the archives???

they are: the 7-post version and a three post version. One of these I am reposting seems to have an error in that a strap is shown across a 3.5-Ohm resistor completely shorting the input!

1652.txt

1653.txt

Vern,

it was a complete stab in the dark on my part, not knowing if the link would be of any value to anyone. i only hope that it was.

John,

i dont know for sure which schematic contained error, and which is the correct one. let me know and i can get it corrected on the other site.

• 9 years later...

hi

can anyone tell me:

1. can i set the ar1 to 15 ohm at the back of the speaker?

2. if my power amp is 15 ohm, and if the setting of the ar1 is either 4 ohm or 8 ohm, can it be possible to the speaker? any harm to the speakers?

thanks

best regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived