AR2ax midrange

Guest selway

When I opened my recently purchased pair of AR2ax I found that one of the midrange speakers had two 3ohm resistors connected (I've read about them on the forum) , but also a 4mfd capacitor connected across the terminals. The other midrange had nothing mounted on them, neither cap or resistor.

That doesn't seem quite right, or is it? How does the parallel mounted capacitor effect the frequency response.

In advance, thanks.

MARTIN

Guest dogmeninreno

>When I opened my recently purchased pair of AR2ax I found

>that one of the midrange speakers had two 3ohm resistors

>connected (I've read about them on the forum) , but also a

>4mfd capacitor connected across the terminals. The other

>midrange had nothing mounted on them, neither cap or

>resistor.

>

>That doesn't seem quite right, or is it? How does the parallel

>mounted capacitor effect the frequency response.

>

>In advance, thanks.

>MARTIN

The AR2ax used a 8 ohm midrange and tweeter. It sounds like someone has installed a 4 ohm driver and added 2-3ohm resistors in (are they in parallel or series)to try and compensate.I don't know about the capacitor. I would first unhook one side of the mid and use an ohmmeter to see which driver you have. I would do the same to the other speaker. I have some 8 ohm mids and tweeters is you ned any..Dale

>I believe the resistors were a transitional solution

>coinciding with the introduction of the ceramic woofers. I

>have had later 2ax mids that measured close to 9 ohms DCR

>instead of the earlier 6.5+/- ohms DCR.

>

>Roy

I'm pretty sure that I can confirm this. Around 1974 AR used two 3 ohm resistors wired in series to increase the resistance of the 3.5" inch CTS-built midrange. Resistance was increased from 6.5 ohms to about 12.5 ohms. Later in 1974, AR dropped the resistors and started using the 9 ohm midrange that Roy mentions.

It is interesting to note that the crossovers and coils remained the same as in earlier post 1970 AR-2ax's. The new ceramic magnet woofer seems to have more midrange output, so AR must have been working to balance everthing out.

Guest dogmeninreno

>I found this info about the resistors on this forum, but

>nothing about the capacitor. See attachment

>MARTIN

I have never seen a 2ax mid that looks like your photo..It looks like a 4ax tweeter? Thanks, Dale

Archived