Easiest Refoam Method Yet For Both Masonite and All-Metal Woofers

Doug G.

I have followed the same methods for replacing surrounds for quite a few years now and they pretty much were the same as the Simply Speakers demo video (and actually aren't too different now) but I have made changes which simplify and speed up the process.

Masonite Woofers:

1) I have worked away from using solvents to remove the old foam and adhesive and now use heat from a hairdryer and scraping with an X-Acto knife on the cone and a screwdriver of about 3/16" wide on the Masonite ring. Some of the water-based adhesives would not soften with the reapplication of water but soften with heat. Also, I have had surrounds fail prematurely (less than ten years) and I noticed the failure was always where the surround met the attachment edges and the foam seemed to have softened and became mushy before cracking, a sign the material was attacked by solvent remnants (I realize I should have been more careful in making sure the solvents were completely gone but fumes can linger).

2) With the woofer sitting on the magnet, lay a bead of glue around the cone edge. I have learned to lay the bead right out of the bottle so I don't have to go through the extra step of smearing it around with a brush or finger. Faster and no mess.

3) Lay the surround over the opening with the outer flange over the Masonite edge and the roll poking away from you. Now, work the surround flange under the Masonite so the inner surround flange lays right on the glue bead. This way, you don't have to raise the cone up to meet the surround flange. Work around the joint several times pinching the cone edge and surround flange together. Let the glue set well.

4) Bring the outer surround flange back above the Masonite and apply a glue bead around the outside surround flange while it is above the Masonite. Push the cone down and the surround flange will snap below the Masonite. Turn the woofer magnet side up and the cone will fall against the underside of the Masonite, finding its own center (it is already centered at the spider). Work around the flange/Masonite joint several times with the blunt end of the screwdriver, pressing down the surround flange. After a few minutes, you can turn the woofer back over to press on the cone around the edges to ensure no VC rubbing. Turn it back to magnet side up and go around one final time, pressing the flange into the glue bead. Let it all dry and you're done.

I have never had a VC rub using this method. Like I said, the cone/VC is already centered at the spider and the cone falls into the right position so parallelism is preserved. All-metal woofers next. It is even easier.

Doug

All-Metal Woofers:

I have reversed this procedure from the typical refoam method.

1) With the woofer sitting on the magnet, lay a bead of glue around the little ledge at the outside. That's right, I attach the surround on these outside flange first. With the roll poking out at you, lay the outside surround flange into the little ledge and press it into the glue a few times. Let it set well.

2) The inner surround flange will now be laying on top of the cone edge. Lay a bead of glue on the inner surround flange while it is above the cone edge. Now, push the cone up. The surround flange will typically not snap under the cone edge. Work it under there with your fingers. Done carefully, you won't get any glue smeared around. Pinch together several times to be sure the flange is well glued.

3) Similar to the woofer cone falling against the Masonite and centering itself, when the cone is within the surround inner flange, it will be centered and parallel and there will be no rubbing. Of course, you want to check to be sure but I have never had a failure here. That's it. Let it all dry and you're done.

I have recently refoamed several of my Advents and boy do they sound wonderful!

Low pipe organ notes shake the room which I, of course, love. :D

Doug

• 1 month later...

This is one of the woofers from my new Advents, circa 1978. It is also my first foam surround replacement attempt and I am pleased with the results. These woofers had not been done since new, there was just the tiniest bit of foam surround left on either woofer. I used your method Doug, it was easy, felt like the right way doing it. I made sure to use the correct surrounds from Rick Cobb. Proof that a total novice can do this. No rubbing of the voice coil, they sound great. Crossovers were also recapped with Dayton caps and these speakers live again!

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

Archived