Stopped for toilet paper, found a pair of AR3's!

GD70

A couple weeks ago, I had to pick up my son at the train station. I was a half hour early so I stopped to get some T.P., In the same small shopping center is a GW. I maybe stop there 4-5 times a year, always nothing or crap. The donations area door was open and when I looked in, sitting on the floor against the wall were the backs of a set of AR's! Wasn't sure yet if they were 3 or 3a's. Yup 3's! 50 bucks and they were in my back seat and trunk! Also they are sequential!

The cabs are in overall very nice shape, but will need some minor veneer repairs and refinishing. One original grill was crudely spray painted black including the badge & 3 pin, the other grill is MIA.

The metal screens over both mids were removed. ;-(    My guess was to boost the output. Got them home and as I expected, no sound from the mids & tweeters, rotating the pots did nothing. I have a bunch of pots I cleaned up in good condition to swap out, hoping this is why there's no output. I'll also put in new caps.

I'll probably send the mids to Roy for rebuilding once I confirm they are producing sound. I hope he has some spare covers for the mids in his parts stash!

Here's some pics.

Glenn

IMG_1675_zpsxc5aghx0.jpg

IMG_1676_zpsulrnvz4f.jpg

IMG_1688_zpst7cu43dv.jpg

[IMG_1689_zpsvste4vl1.jpg

URL=http://s133.photobucket.com/user/GD70/media/AR3%20GW/IMG_1678_zps3ap104dn.jpg.html]IMG_1678_zps3ap104dn.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1679_zpsgfdmel5r.jpg

IMG_1682_zpskgq7tb0u.jpg

IMG_1683_zpsmp2kn28b.jpg

IMG_1686_zpsacvielbi.jpg

IMG_1687_zpsccmjkjg3.jpg

IMG_1684_zpspwuj1ly9.jpg

IMG_1685_zpshmrcil3v.jpg

IMG_1690_zpsu43902ud.jpg

IMG_1691_zpsigqdumhm.jpg

IMG_1692_zpsh1ebhhky.jpg

IMG_1693_zpsyl7g4haj.jpg

Someone spray painted something on these, note the over spary!

IMG_1708_zpsd2tpt8z9.jpg

Tweeters domes are not lifting!

IMG_1716_zpsvvr9fqpj.jpg

IMG_1717_zpscocvwbmt.jpg

IMG_1719_zpsffakzijs.jpg

Lots of corrosion in the pots.

IMG_1734_zpsynwi5p3r.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Ah yes, seeing the familiar rear labels from across the room and your heart starts racing, wondering what model AR it is and hoping it has a 3 in it. Like Christmas morning as a kid.

Your words reminds me my Christmas of 50 years ago , 1966 , that Christmas morning I received a G.I. Joe ( by Hasbro ) with a complete U.S. Marine set, uniform, Machine gun, haversack, camouflage set, Jeep, tent, and I started to play with it while my father was listening his AR 3 , I remember Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby singin' together , still I have that LP.  Sorry for the little O.T. .  Adriano

IMG_5409.JPG

On October 31, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Sonnar said:

You 're a lucky man! For 50 $ and an accurate works to restore it, You 'll have one of the best sounding speakers ever made.  Congratulations ! Adriano 

Lucky timing! This is my 2nd pair of 3's. My first I found at my local SA for 19.99. They needed more work on the cabs than these will need. I have the caps and hope to swap them in the next few days, as well as pots that are in great shape to replace the corroded ones. I'm praying the mids and tweeters are good. Next if the mids are good, I'll send them to Roy for refurbishing and hopefully he'll have the wire mesh that's missing. Then I'll sand the cabs to the veneer, do the repairs and refinish. One step at a time. 

Im really excited to hear them!

Glenn

On October 31, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Sonnar said:

Your words reminds me my Christmas of 50 years ago , 1966 , that Christmas morning I received a G.I. Joe ( by Hasbro ) with a complete U.S. Marine set, uniform, Machine gun, haversack, camouflage set, Jeep, tent, and I started to play with it while my father was listening his AR 3 , I remember Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby singin' together , still I have that LP.  Sorry for the little O.T. .  Adriano

IMG_5409.JPG

Wow! That brings back fond memories! My GI Joe had blond yellow painted hair.

On October 31, 2016 at 11:19 AM, DavidDru said:

Ah yes, seeing the familiar rear labels from across the room and your heart starts racing, wondering what model AR it is and hoping it has a 3 in it. Like Christmas morning as a kid.

Hey David!

That was exactly what I thought! I practically sat on them until the manager came out to give me a price.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress.

Finished the recap, replaced the pots with nice cleaned ones I had ready to go.

Roy gave me advice on repairing the mids for better output, and my first attempt went unsuccessful, so I pulled them she shipped them off to Roy for his magic touch.

I soaked the pots in clear vinegar & salt solution, washed and rinsed with soap & water and they were in much better shape than I expected. I'll take the fine sanding wheel on the Dremel and polish up the disks and see how they test.

I got one cab sanded and ready for some minor veneer repairs. I also checked the woofer masonite rings and they were glued solid, good news there.

Here's some pics.

Glenn

IMG_2082_zps0tjhuylc.jpg

IMG_2053_zps5uzfmfy2.jpg

IMG_2054_zpsxvadukvq.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsipbo5ara.jpg
The mid I attempted to repair.

IMG_2056_zpsc659liom.jpg

IMG_2068_zpsqjkamrnq.jpg

IMG_2069_zpssmrtiuby.jpg

IMG_2071_zpsnq6qbcct.jpg

IMG_2072_zpsgexgbhgt.jpg

IMG_2075_zpsl7astez0.jpg
IMG_2076_zpssgasgsti.jpg

IMG_2077_zpsgbjfyglt.jpg

IMG_2078_zps7aumdgfw.jpg

IMG_2080_zpsp7h5vqg4.jpg

IMG_2081_zpssp9duvkc.jpg

1 hour ago, ar_pro said:

They're coming along nicely - great photos!

Please include any of the veneer work that you decide to do - I could look at before & after pictures all day. ^_^

You bet and thank you!

I've restored a number of speakers and pretty much have it down to a routine with this type of veneer work. Lots of fun!

Glenn

4 hours ago, stupidhead said:

looking great Glenn, any ideas on getting the grilles back to oem?

Hey Geoff!

I hope to. If I remember, doesn't Ken have some matching grill saran? It's been a few years since the first 3 restoration project.

I would need to make new frames though. The one original plastic frame is in pretty good shape with one crack at the top, easily repairable, but finding another original would be difficult.

I'll also need a pair of 3 pins. I have another AR badge I can use.

Cheers!

Glenn

5 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Looking good.

Edges and corners look pretty good overall actually.  Bottoms a bit rougher as usual.

Your wiring diagram looks like mine!

Thanks David!

These are in very good overall shape, just some minor rear corner repairs needed.

Roy sent me that diagram back when I did my first 3 resto project.

Glenn

3 hours ago, ra.ra said:

Hey Glenn, you got another great find there. Gorgeous speakers and great pics. Can I suggest maybe providing some temporary protection on those tweeters while you work on the cabinets? Looking forward to watching your progress. Carry on.

Hi Robert!

Yup, a total fluke I even stopped at this GW. I couldn't believe they were sitting there. Must have been dropped off that day as they didn't have a price tag on them, and there were some other speakers as well that I didn't even bother looking at when I spotted the 3's! Probably all donated by the same person. There were a few receivers and some other gear I wasn't interested in.

Yes, I'll cover the tweeters, thanks!

Glenn

Made some progress this weekend, and received my repaired mids from Roy!

I got the 2nd cab sanded and started veneer repairs on both. I'm almost done, one or two corners still to do.

The veneer on the 3's is pretty thick and the veneer from other speaker projects is thinner, so i have to add another layer of newer veneer I have so it will be level with the speaker surface.

Here's some pics to give you an idea of the process. Straight cuts are always easier to patch than a curved cut. I also sand the edges slightly angled so the surface edges butt well when being glued in place.

The mids from Roy. The domes are nice and free now to move as they should. Roy also put in new VC leads.

IMG_2157_zpss6llwqsm.jpg

Sanded cab and some of the repairs.

IMG_2144_zpstszxan6a.jpg

Cut away the damaged area, made a paper template to cut the veneer patch.

IMG_2146_zpsqreuokkj.jpg

IMG_2147_zpszpz3ce5a.jpg

IMG_2156_zpsxvsxc4po.jpg

IMG_2137_zpselws8xyq.jpg

IMG_2148_zpsonkre5su.jpg

IMG_2151_zpsmjdm9ayg.jpg

IMG_2139_zpsccepdeur.jpg

IMG_2142_zpsql3golcz.jpg

IMG_2150_zpso3lfk6zz.jpg

IMG_2135_zpsdjwtvjny.jpg

IMG_2136_zpsyb4etak0.jpg