Project LST

Birger

Hello again from a cold ( -9,4 F) Sweden

About My LST´s

Woofer are at re foaming. Crossovers are rebuilt with new Caps

Now to my question

When I bought them , the pre owner hade replaced the original woofers with some very cheep 12 inch lowFi ones, and even two of the tweeters gone.

I managed to find a pair of AR 3a imp. with the replacement woofers ( as mentioned in my earlier question ) and both mids and tweeters OK.

Now, as I have re caped the crossover, I´m a little confused about the " stuffing ".

Probably even that is NOT the original .It´s some kind of yellow fiberglass ( I think)

So, what kind of " stuffing " and how much in every speaker is my question.

Can I use the type of " stuffing " sold at loudspeakers shop´s ? or what do You recommend ??

Thanks so far

Birger

P.S. still wondering why straps over the two 20 uf caps are cut ??

before after stuffing

post-104943-0-19953200-1453043894_thumb.

post-104943-0-14879100-1453043969_thumb.

post-104943-0-01434200-1453044006_thumb.

Hi Birger, just a couple thoughts here.

Since one cabinet contained noticeably more stuffing than the other one, and woofers had already been replaced, it is obvious that someone was inside these speakers before. This may also explain the snipped straps, too - - quite possibly, previous owner had the good intention of replacing some components and simply gave up at a very early stage. And perhaps the stuffing was then replaced carelessly.

Per AR's literature, the LST shares the same cabinet volume as the AR-3a, so you may just want to follow the recommendations in the AR-3a restoration manual regarding cabinet fill. Not sure of the exact original material density, but the fiberglass fill that Carl refers to is essentially thermal insulation used for building construction, available at local home supply stores, presumably in Sweden as well.

post-112624-0-33693000-1453056013_thumb.

Hey fellas, there's a nice pair on the bay rite now going for $4,000, plus another pair at $2,000.plus $300. for shipping.

Screw the good feeling of 'DIY", go to the bank and take out a loan, or hit your credit cards.

Are they worth it, you bet they are but, four big ones does sound a little steep.

Last week or so, Larry sold a pair he re-did, for $3,800.

There's also a set of LST 2's on the bay. There's also a badly repainted pair of AR-9s in Georgia on sale for cheap, $450.

In terms of construction, you'd have to be a qualified wood-worker to build the cabinet, with that in mind, look into the M.L. Amati's as

they may have been constructed better with more interior bracing.

And not to be discouraging, there is also the driver question.

If one was to go that far to build the cabinets, you'd want to use new good quality speakers in them too as older drivers are becoming more difficult to find.

Then there's the calculating and building of the X-overs and such.

Lastly, the need for a high power amplifier cause they just don't perform with low power no matter want some folks think.

I think "steveF' had it correct in another post about 'DIY', it's easier thought of than done.

fm

Hi all

thoughts about re glue the tweeters

Is it possible to ( before it is to late ) re glue the three points ( maybe three new points between the original ones ) ??

Any one any thoughts??

Can I use normal glue, ore can I use " hot " glue ??

Otherwise the LST´s are now playing again .

Thankx , and a nice weekend to all of You

Regards Birger

Hi all

thoughts about re glue the tweeters

Is it possible to ( before it is to late ) re glue the three points ( maybe three new points between the original ones ) ??

Any one any thoughts??

Can I use normal glue, ore can I use " hot " glue ??

Otherwise the LST´s are now playing again .

Thankx , and a nice weekend to all of You

Regards Birger

Those "3 points" are not made of glue! They are a foam material which comprises the suspension of the dome. If you put glue over them or put glue over other areas of the voice coil gap, the dome will cease to move and the tweeter will be ruined.

Roy

Thanks for the answer Roy

​Every day You learn something new.

So, any suggestions about what to do to save the tweeters from falling apart ? ( I think that will happen sooner or later , ore am I wrong ) ??

Thanks again

Birger

Thanks for the answer Roy

​Every day You learn something new.

So, any suggestions about what to do to save the tweeters from falling apart ? ( I think that will happen sooner or later , ore am I wrong ) ??

Thanks again

Birger

There really isn't anything you can do about it.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Any date stamps on the original drivers (midrange and tweeters)? ity is typically printed like "week and year"

Do they open from the back/do they have a a built in fuseholder? (it looks like a no to both questions).

Given also the position of the transformator, my guess would be that they are late productions, but a date would help a lot

BRgds Klaus

Archived