AR-6 Crossover Comparison

kcbluesman

This is a follow-up to the "AR-6's with zobel" thread started by Steelglam on October 28th.

I have two pairs of AR-6's, both with the three-way switch and 10uf cap in the tweeter circuit, and coil and zobel (10ohm/24uf) in the woofer circuit.

I replaced the caps in one pair, and modified the other pair with the simpler crossover network used in later versions of this speaker (6uf cap in the tweeter circuit, with three way switch still in place, but no coil, no zobel).

I've been listening to both pairs much of the day, AB-ing them from the same amp and source components.

For me, it's no contest. The original crossover sounds much better than the later version. I don't have measurement equipment, so can't provide anything other than my subjective impressions. The originals have amazing bass...low and tight, with a slightly forward midrange and sweet high end.

The modified versions don't seem as controlled in the low end, and don't go noticeably lower, either. The midrange is even more forward, but not as clean/precise, and I couldn't really tell any difference in the upper range.

So, tonight I'm taking the modified pair back to the original crossover.

The woofers in my AR-6's are labeled as "10708", and have a masonite ring under the spider. The tweeters are the front-wired version. All are original, other than replacement of the surrounds. I used Dayton Precision poly caps.

Klaus -

Yes, as noted above, I did remove the zobel. The modified crossover was configured the same as in the schematic you posted in the other thread (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=8758), with the exception that I retained the two-resistor switch configuration.

I like my version of the AR-6 quite well (with its stock crossover...same as "B" in genek's schematic also posted in the other thread). Their only "flaw", to my ears, is that the midrange can be too forward at times. However, the exceptional low-end makes it easier to overlook this issue.

I've already got one of the modified versions back to its original configuration, and will get the other one done today. I'm keeping one pair for my daughter's system (replacing KLH 24's), and selling the other pair to a friend.

Archived