Roy Allison AR-3a AR-LST & Mark Levinson Cello Amati speakers

mluong303

I went to a Hi-Fi/Home Theater Show in NYC last week and saw and heard quite a few decent but pricey Stereo Systems. The Steinway Lyngdorf S-Series was my favorite but cost $22,000 for the little System without the CD/Blu-Ray player!

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/

http://www.stereophile.com/news/052107steinway/

Minh Luong

post-101112-0-37587100-1309784723_thumb.

post-101112-0-05758500-1309784750_thumb.

post-101112-0-80965700-1309784813_thumb.

post-101112-0-23270900-1309784848_thumb.

post-101112-0-04378900-1309784882_thumb.

post-101112-0-84519900-1309784928_thumb.

post-101112-0-34872800-1309784962_thumb.

post-101112-0-17786900-1309784982_thumb.

post-101112-0-01582900-1309785020_thumb.

I went to a Hi-Fi/Home Theater Show in NYC last week and saw and heard quite a few decent but pricey Stereo Systems. The Steinway Lyngdorf S-Series was my favorite but cost $22,000 for the little System without the CD/Blu-Ray player!

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/

Minh Luong

I don't know what puzzles me more, the prices asked for this class of equipment which seems outrageous when you consider the cost of DIY versions of them, especially the speakers or where there is a market for it. Considering how much of it is being offered the market there must be people somewhere buying it but I can't imagine where. People I know who can afford it aren't interested. I thought it was crazy when a home audio system cost as much as a new car, then a new luxury car. Now some of them cost as much or more than houses. Do they really perform better than mine? I'm not convinced by a long shot.

Innovation has always been a hallmark for Peter Lyngdorf. Ever since his entry into the hi-fi industry in mid 1970's he has been capable of changing how audio products are being conceived and sold - both globally and in his native Scandinavia. In a constant pursue of better ways to replay music Peter has founded or co-founded several world famous audio companies, for instance Dali Loudspeakers along with full or part ownership of many other highly esteemed audio brands such as NAD Electronics, Gryphon Audio and Snell Acoustics...

http://timeout.watchprosite.com/?show=forumpost&fi=686Ļ€=3057806&ti=506316&s=

post-101112-0-19349900-1309811696_thumb.

post-101112-0-72008000-1309811709_thumb.

post-101112-0-21138100-1309811730_thumb.

post-101112-0-32158000-1309813122_thumb.

I don't see anything particularly innovative about this equipment unless you consider the ratio of the price paid for the assembled merchandise received compared to the cost of the parts that that contribute to its function has reached a new paradigm.

Everyone claims to have the best sound reproducing system in the world. Geddes, Linkwitz, Von Schweikert, Glasgal, and you could go on and on all make or imply that claim. Of course the truth is that I actually have the best one but that's an entirely separate story. :rolleyes:

It wasn't the Name, the Designer or the High Price Tag that interest me! I have never heard of such a Dynamic, Low Distortion and Transparent Sound from such a small Speakers with a Simple System and no Room Treatment whatsoever...! Peter Lyngdorf is very friendly and humble who concentrate only on explaining what he does to come up with such a compact system rather than compare and bad mouth about speakers from other Manufacturers... to me that is much more productive and positive about Him. I can't afford this Steinway Lyngdorf S-Series System anyway but I still love what I heard and I am just sharing my personal experience to other members in the AR Forum, that's all Folks!

Minh Luong

I still fail to see anything innovative here. 24 bit 192 khz digital audio signals, I've had that in Toshiba DVDs for four years and has been available in DVD players and recorders for as low as $30. DSP through a digital switching amplifier, old hat. (BTW on direct comparison to 1 bit 8x oversampling JVC circa 1991 it sounds identical.) Automatic room equalization, very commonly offered now even in low cost receivers from among others Sherwood and Pioneer. Heil air motion transformer tweeters, around since the 1970s, now being manufactured again and distributed by Parts Express. Looks like the subwoofers are a compact version of the AR90. By making the cones more massive, a lower system F3 can be obtained in a much smaller enclosure, a direct application of Newton's second law of motion applied to forced oscillation as simplified in the Thiel-Small cookbook.

What would interest me is hearing an LvR comparison again. Others have tried it without the insight and skill to pull it off as successfully as Roy Allison did at AR. I think VMPS is one example. As for reproducing the sound of a symphony orchestra in an apartment, that is absurd on the face of it. Without recreating the effects of the acoustics of the hall it is normally heard in, even if it could be done it is not a pleasant sound. I know, I've heard many rehearsals of orchestras in practice rooms that are much larger than any room in an NYC apartment and it is not the kind of sound knowledgeable people pay good money to hear.

• 4 months later...

There seems to be a discrepency between the second and third thumbnails in the original posting. One shows a 40 mfd series LF blocking capacitor for the midrange array and the other shows it at 50 mfd. Otherwise all components in the midrange bandpass filter seem the same. Does anyone have an explanation for the difference? It should have at least some audible effect.

LST appeared in an era before low cost consumer equalizers were available. IMO that is a much better way to adjust the electrical signal than the level controls on the speaker itself. Amplifiers were much more expensive and active crossovers also not widely available. 10 pi seems to have been designed with these limitations of that era also in mind.

The Amati version demonstrates that the price for high end consumer products in general and audio equipment in particular does not reflect actual production cost but is more closely related to brand name perception. Jack up the price high enough and they will come seems to be their motto. In that era the most expensive speakers on the market were comparable to the price of a new car. Today it's comparable to the price of a new house. Things haven't improved that much but who am I to say how people should spend their own money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 1/16/2008 at 12:24 AM, dynaco_dan said:

Hi Minh;

Thank you very much for posting this information.

Vern

Hi Minh

thank you for this document . I've bought a pair of IC20 completely renovated 4 years ago , and it is a dream to listen to music with themĀ  . I've completely rediscovered all my vinyl and CDs

I'm always interested to have document on Roy Allison . thanks again

Jean-Pierre ( France)